Planning to replace your old roof? Whether your existing roof is damaged severely or you’re planning to give an aesthetic facelift to your home, residential roofing materials play a pivotal role in the roof replacement process.
Several roofing materials are available in the market. With so many options to choose from, which material is right for your home? The initial step in a roof replacement project is contacting a professional roofing contractor. With their expertise and experience, they can help you find and select the roofing material best suited for your home and prevailing climatic conditions.
Apart from understanding the different types of roof materials, roofing contractors can also provide you with an estimate for each type of material. However, knowing the pros and drawbacks of each material will help you make a more informed decision and can offer substantial savings.
Tesla’s solar roof has become increasingly popular In the residential sector, given its functionality and additional power-generating benefits. Always opt for a certified Tesla solar roof installerfor the best craftsmanship and guaranteed quality outcomes.
In North America, shingles roof materials dominate the residential roofing sector covering almost 85% of houses in the US. Usually, shingles are designed using Asphalt. Other variations are also available. Architectural shingles have gained huge popularity since they offer greater durability with thick composition and have a distinctive textured appeal.
- One of the most affordable options and easy to install.
- Low maintenance.
- Imparts a great look to your house
- Versatile colours and patterns are available, making it a great choice for different housing styles.
- Good rating for fire resistance.
- Shingles roofs can last anywhere between 25 to 45 years, making them one of the shortest durable sloped roofing.
- Certain climatic conditions such as cold temperatures and lack of sunlight can adversely affect the installation process.
- Shingle roofs installed during such weather conditions can get easily damaged and might not have a great sealing. They become more susceptible to getting misplaced by wind and are easily crackable during varying temperatures.
Tesla solar roofing comprises glass and photovoltaic singles, offering a better alternative to traditional shingle roofing. You can get the tesla solar roof installed by a qualified Tesla solar roof installer.
Metal roofing encompasses large interlocking metal sheets or panels. Given its durability and resistance to adverse weather conditions, a metal roof has gained huge popularity in recent years.
Unlike shingles roofing, metal roofing offers a life expectancy of about 40 to 70 years. So, if you’re looking for a futuristic, long-term solution, metal residential roofing might be the perfect choice for you.
Metal roofing was installed by the roofing company.
- Exceptional life expectancy.
- Keeps the interior cool by absorbing less heat, given its reflective properties.
- Metal roofing may even qualify for Energy Star ratings, thus increasing the value of your residential property.
- Metal roofing is generally designed with 25-95% recycled materials. You can opt for recycling the metal roofing to reduce environmental impact.
- Metal roofings are also available in various styles and colours.
- Offers exceptional resistance to adverse weather conditions such as heavy snowfall, storms with lightning, etc.
- Metals are also fire resistant.
- Installation of metal residential roofing can be more expensive than other materials.
- Installation requires qualified experts having knowledge of specialised tools and techniques since the process is complicated.
- Since the installation process requires great expertise, the labour charges are more expensive for metal roof installation.
Also Read: HOW TO CHOOSE A RESIDENTIAL ROOFING COMPANY
Slate roofing shingles are designed with natural stone and are specifically suitable for sloped roofs.
Slate roofing has been a choice for many residential owners for over a hundred years. With this roofing, you can enjoy a life expectancy of 75 to 200+ years.
- The most significant benefit of slate residential roofing is its durability and significant life expectancy. The exceptional durability of Slate roofing is because slate is manufactured using stone.
- The life expectancy of a roof increases with the enhancement in stone quality.
- Slate roofing offers an aesthetically appealing finish.
- Slate is a naturally occurring element. Therefore, you can expect variations in quality. The variation can ultimately affect the overall roofing quality. Some roof scans crack easily, while some can last for over a hundred years.
- The iron content in the rock is also a crucial element that can lead to making the roof become brittle.
- One substantial drawback of Slate roofing is the weight. Not all houses are designed to bear the weight of heavy Slate roofing. In such cases installing a solar roof by Tesla solar roof installer is the best choice.
- The Slate roof installation process is complex and requires special installation expertise and equipment knowledge. Therefore, the overall installation might become expensive.
- Slate roofs also require yearly maintenance.
Cedar residential roofing is designed with overlapping wooden tiles. Wooden Cedar roofing without treatment can last up to 15 to 20 years. With proper treatment, these roofings can give a life expectancy of 30 to 40 years.
- Wooden roofings are spectacular and stylish.
- These roofings offer a sturdy framework and resistance to strong winds and extreme weather conditions.
- Eco-friendly roofing solutions
- They offer great natural insulation
- It can be significantly expensive to purchase and install.
- Requires additional treatment for fire protection.
- Consistent maintenance is required to prevent fungus, moss and mildew growth.
Synthetic roofing materials are manufactured using rubber or plastic. These roofing elements are specifically designed to replicate natural materials such as Asphalt, wood or slate. Depending on the manufacturing material and style, synthetic roofing can last for 50 years or more.
- Gives a similar aesthetic appeal to that traditional natural materials.
- With the look of traditional roofing, synthetic roofs have exceptional resistance to regular wear and tear and adverse weather conditions.
- Requires less maintenance.
- All synthetic materials are not similar. The quality, appearance and durability can vary.
- It’s vital to hire a qualified and experienced residential roofing contractor to ensure installing a high-quality synthetic roof.
- It can be more expensive than conventional options.
Every roofing material has a specific set of pros and cons. However, the ultimate roofing cost will specifically depend on the pitch of your roofing, the weight of materials, the expertise required for installation and the structural integrity of your home.
Regardless of the roofing material you choose, always go for a qualified general roofing contractor and tesla solar roof installer.